September 12, 2012

Did you know that September is Save the Koala Month?



We spotted this guy in our front yard the other day.  I love seeing a koala on our place, but those times are getting fewer and fewer.
When I see one – it’s a bit of a double edged sword.  I’m happy, but then I worry.  Worry about their plight.

We live in South East Queensland, in an area of rapid growth.  We are 10 minutes from a major shopping centre, 5 minutes from a corner shop, and about 10 minutes to a local school. 

We live on a through road, and lots of cars, buses and trucks use our road to get to all these places.  It isn’t a main road - it’s just a semi-rural road (70k) that every day has more cars on it as people use it as a short cut.  
 
 
The tree where this guy was located was only a few metres from the road.  You can see why I worry.

Also, we are on 5 acre blocks along this road.  Out of 12 houses, I think only 2 don’t own dogs.  Yes, we own dogs too, but they are restrained at night.  Angel is on the chain, and Dexter in the house from dusk onwards.

So you can see why I worry.  Then on the weekend I heard bulldozers somewhere not too far away.  Sigh.  Big Sigh.

Car + dogs + loss of habitat = biggest threat to koala population

 

If you are in a koala area, please tie your dog up at night!  or plant a koala food tree.   Please tell other people too - which is my aim this month -  September is SAVE THE KOALA MONTH. 

This is the Australian Koala Foundation for more info and ways to help.

I'd love to hear some comments.

If you are in Australia and have koalas near you or ........ or if you are overseas - are you aware that the koala population is dwindling?

Cheers for now
Wendy 


Yes, it was a great trip thank Anne – and nice to come back to some good old fashioned decluttering!
Lol  - no she was just a photo prop!  A cellar sounds pretty scary in terms of storing things Kim – how are you going with clearing that out?
Thanks LG – I must say you did inspire me in the past when you kept track of all your bags of things decluttered.  I haven’t kept track, but the photos are good to look back on.  Yes, Yr 12 is an interesting time for all that.  I think you are right though – it will all work out the way it’s meant to – it’s just a matter of working through it all.
Hi Claire – and I’ve been so enjoying your trip!  Yes, very glad that we went on our little adventure, it sorted out a lot of the bits in the puzzle.  You made me laugh though about the little cane shelf.  You sound as bad as me wanting to hang onto things.  The funny part is, I think I bought that at a garage sale.  It sat around, was used for a bit and finally ended up in the black hole of the garage!  Now if you weren’t so far away, I’d retrieve it for you .......
Nice to hear from you Sam, and that you’re feeling better!
Well I think now that the Pokemon has gone, that’s about the end of the toys here..... apart of course from the ‘special’ ones stowed away in carefully marked boxes!
It took me a long long time to work that simple fact out Kirsty!  I have gradually moved on most of my books and mags.  I do read a lot - but all my books come from the library now.  Recipes are easily found online, so no need for recipes books anymore either.  Ahh the freedom!
Talking about great recipes – yours are special – thanks FBMKW!   Our garage was particularly bad.  I just wish that I had taken more ‘before’ photos – but I was too embarrassed!!










7 comments:

librarygirl said...

I love Koalas - they are so unique and special.
I did not know their numbers were dwindling. Will check out the website.

**Anne** said...

How very special to have a koala on your property and I can understand your concerns about the dwindling population due to urban growth, traffic etc. They are a gorgeous animal. Anne xx

Maria said...

I can understand your concerns for the koalas but how how wonderful to see one on your own property. In 1998 I was doing relief teaching in the Redlands schools Circuit and one day during playground duty I saw koalas high up in the trees fast asleep. The students accepted this as normal in their playground! lol It was Coolnwynpin SS and before doing that work I had never heard of it. But it had a big nature reserve next to the school.

Fiona from Arbordale Farm said...

What a wonderful sight. I agree it is not a good situation for the poor koalas.

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

I did know it was Koala month, last year a friend of mine Tania McCartney wrote a book Riley & the Curious Koala & % of the proceeds go to Save the Koala. Bless those gorgeous koalas, i mean they stop massive developments for birds & frogs, why not koalas?? Love Posie

Kirsty @ Bowerbird Blue said...

Exactly the same grim situation here in the Macedon Ranges Victoria, we used to always hear koalas but now it is a rare treat. I think even dogs out in the day time doesn't help. More clearing, more traffic and more fences means less habitat for the poor critters. So many trees coming down due to drought and then wet conditions too. Such a beautiful creature to lose from our landscape.

Naturally Carol said...

How wonderful to find koalas on your property..despite the danger. We are right on a main road and only have old jacarandas and pencil pines and a poincianna..the possums love them and birds of course..but no koalas. Hopefully there are still plenty around in the surrounding countryside. It is about time they made sure there are plenty of green corridors around for koalas though.