March 18, 2011

Friday fun


(This is a totally unrelated photo I thought I would start with because I just like it.  Our bamboo 'forest' way down the back of our block.)

I have done a bit of decluttering and a few listings on ebay.  A difficult decision on a couple of things, but I knew that I had to do it.  After reading so many inspiring stories lately about getting rid of emotional guilt I knew that I just had to face it.   

These two dinner settings are old vintage ones that I have inherited.  Whilst I totally love them both, they are incomplete and I already have at least 2 other complete dinner settings. 

We haven't really used them, the blue set is almost an antique (1930's I believe) and I was always worried about dropping them.  The pink one I treasure will retain fond memories of as it was the one that comes to mind when I remember family dinners from my childhood (and that would make it vintage not antique!).  

However, one is already listed and the 2nd one will be soon.  So they are going.  Hopefully they will make someone happy  and make me a few dollars maybe.
  
So these are the sort of things that I am dealing with - emotional clutter.   Guilt about not hanging onto them, but we have only one boy and I can't hang onto everything for him in the hope that in another 10-15 years he might want some old family things.  I have offered and given lots of things to my nieces who are all adult and have their own homes etc.  They are not really interested either.  (Sorry that was just my little justification rant).

I feel that my taking a photo of them and showing it here is a fitting way to say goodbye to some emotional clutter.
 
I did pull out some things from the unit in the family room.  Remember I did the drawers, and then I had to do the cupboards underneath.  I forgot to take a 'before' photo, but these are a few things I have pulled out.  Possibly it could have been a lot more - may have to go through again and fill up this box!
 
 
However!  the moment you've all been waiting for - the winner of the giveaway.  I'll step you through the process.  Very official.  So official in fact that instruments were used in the process.  I was here by myself and figured this was the fairest way to do things!

 

 My helper kept an eye on things. The excitement was building ......


 

Congratulations Bruise Mouse (from the lovely livingalittlegreener) blog!   I have put my email address on the side bar if you'd like to contact me with your address.  Enjoy.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment.  I hope you'll stay around and comment some more!

Cheers Wendy

13 comments:

Ali said...

Bruise Mouse you cheeky monkey! I love your technique Wendy, you certainly do have style :)

I adore your dinner setting to the right, it's just beautiful. And it's wonderful that you are giving it a new home, someone else will love it and use it now :)

Ali.

Bruise Mouse said...

Wendy, thank you so much. : )

dreamer said...

You can't hold on to everything out of a feeling of guilt/remembrance, you are doing the right thing letting go and you will still have your photos as a memory if needed. Better to choose something you really love like your red plate and use and enjoy it, rather than being weighed down with lots of guilt clutter.
When it comes to your son, it will be things from your home which will mean the most to him in the future (just don't save everything lol! )

Amy said...

Wendy, congratulations on your decluttering effort! The emotional clutter is, I think, the very hardest of all to get rid of.

ps -- your "helper" is absolutely adorable!!!!!!!

Judith said...

Mum and Dad had a coffee pot just like the one in the photo when I was living at home. It was in pristine condition because no-one drank coffee in our house. I wonder if my Mum still has it?? Have fun decluttering...I always find it easy to declutter my husband's stuff rather than my own ;)

purplefish said...

Well done duchess - this is really tough stuff you are dealing with. And many, if not all of us can probably relate the the emotional attachments and guilt thing. That's were this online suport os so fantastic and is certainly helping me in the process.

duchess_declutter said...

Ali - yes I have emotionally already bade it farewell. It's been bid on already.

duchess_declutter said...

Bruise Moise - congrats again. Can you try email again scrapwendy@gmail.com.

duchess_declutter said...

Bruise Moise == sorry! Mouse lol

duchess_declutter said...

dreamer - thanks so much for your comments. I find your comments very soothing somehow, and so logical. You are spot on, and I know that our son is definitely a fairly typical male and not particularly sentimental.

duchess_declutter said...

Amy - thanks for commenting. My little helper is never far away, and lives a pretty good life - just like your cat I'd say!

duchess_declutter said...

Judith - hello, thanks for your comment. Yes this coffee pot hasn't seen much use either. The good thing is that retro is so popular atm - so it is probably a good time to offload.

duchess_declutter said...

purplefish - you have been very encouraging, and I always look forward to your comments. It is encouraging to have online therapy!