March 15, 2011

Objects of my affection - a Tuesday Theme - Week 7


Today's object has been a featured recently.  I re-discovered it when I went through one of the many boxes in The Garage.  One of the many boxes that will have to be tackled when I get to Phase 2 of decluttering.  Which may be some time away, as I am still in Phase 1 of the house. 


 However, this plate is lovely, and I remember it well from my childhood.  For some reason I remember jam tarts being served on it, but I'm wondering if that is just a visual memory on account of the pattern.

It was one of my Mum's favourite plates. purely because of the colour I think.  I can remember it occasionally sitting as a centrepiece on the kitchen table with fruit or maybe flowers on it.

 
 
Thought I might show you my favourite summer drink as well.  Favourite cool drink on a hot day.  This is ginger cordial, lots of ice, soda water and a big slug of lemon or lime.  Very nice.  We don't grow enough grapes for my other favourite tipple.

A couple of bad photos of our first Tamarillo.  Another easy to grow plant, not sure why we haven't tried it before.  Very nice, unusual taste.  A little bit tart, but nice in with other fruit, or just scooped straight out.



Now I have a question for the keen cooks/gardeners out there.  This is a Taro I bought recently.  Having been informed by my gardener husband that he has planted some, I thought I had better investigate what to do with them when a bucket of them is tossed handed to me.

Sure I have googled it, and have looked at recipes, and it all seems a bit of a bother to prepare.  Has anyone actually cooked them and/or enjoyed them in a meal?  Pretty ugly brute (was my first thought) maybe I can be proven wrong ... and this was only a small one!



Will be back later in the week with more decluttering - because according to my survey, that is what you'd like to see the most of - with a smattering of what we produce around our yard.

So pretty much more of the same, just more decluttering. Which is really what I should be doing anyway, so thanks for pointing me in that direction.  Thanks for participating in the survey - in fact, just thank you for reading any of this!


Cheers Wendy


4 comments:

Leontien said...

I think it is a lovely plate! It would be great if you had some cups and more dishes with it!

Thanks for sharing
Leontien

Nelly said...

My sis is married to a figian I will have to ask her how they cook theirs.Am sure my mum fries hers up like potato chips

Gooseberry Jam said...

LOVE YOUR PLATE!!!! :) I think it would look nice decorated with a big spongecake with freshcream and strawberries on top...There's a challenge for you!!! :)

dreamer said...

Lovely plate :)
No idea abour the Taro, have never seen or heard of one before. Enjoying all the exotic looking veggies and fruit on your blog :)