July 4, 2011

I've been apple crumbling

I can honestly say that I'm not one of the best cooks around.  Certainly I can feed the family without any dramas and entertain on a minor scale.

As mentioned previously, my big addiction is to reading food blogs and cookbooks.  The problem is that, just like decluttering, I'm great on imagery but no real action.
However I can happily say that I tried a new recipe and it was great!  I've been making lots of apple crumble over the years, and with many variation on the theme depending on what fruit was at hand at the time (apple and pear/apple and berry etc).
My usual crumble topping  mix is one I make up as I go along and most times involves a few weetbix, brown sugar and butter.  This recipe looked appealing and I had some ginger snaps in the cupboard so thought I'd give it a go.  Next time, because we all love ginger, I will be adding more - maybe grating some raw ginger into the apple mix as it cooks.
This is my adaptation of the recipe (that's another fault - I never stick accurately to a recipe!).

Gingernut oat apple crumble ( adapted from Allyson Gofton, Slow)

12 ginger nut biscuits roughly crushed (I just broke them up)
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup flour (I used wholemeal)
1/2 cup coconut (I used shredded)
1/4 cup sugar (I used raw)
115g butter melted
(I also threw in some toasted pine nuts/slivered almonds which I had in the freezer.  Probably about 1/2 cup)

Mix well together and place on top of stewed apples.  Into a ovenproof dish and 180 deg. oven to bake for 30-40 minutes.  The recipe suggests dusting with icing sugar before serving, but I seemed to have forgotten that suggestion.
Very very nice result, and well received here.  Nice hot or cold with or without custard, cream, ice cream or any of the above.  I even had some on my porridge one morning!  The ginger just seems to take it to a different level.

The original recipe uses more sugar (1/2 cup) and more butter (125g).  If you like your crumble mix to be more soft and clingy I would suggest using the original ingredients.  This mix suited us just fine as I always cut down on sugar.  I've always cooked the apple without sugar too.

Just wish I had some decluttering to report, but because it's school holidays at the moment, my main role appears to be entertaining teenage boys.  Maybe I should re-phrase that - entertaining my son's friends -  and driving -here there and everywhere -  work/  gym / footy training / friends houses / movies / having friends stayover. 

I know that many many people do much more than this with more children and I am certainly not complaining.  In fact I am always putting up my hand to drive/entertain because I know that this time next year he  will be driving!

So I'm happy to cook and drive and happy in the knowledge that he is so sociable..... and that his mates are all good kids too.  However,  Judith - I have to say my level of entertaining is not on the scale of lovely blog you mentioned (My French Country Home).  No piano recitals in this house - music of different decibels here!

I'm now getting cross-eyed from the number of links I've been doing - amazing myself really!  Let me know your thoughts on this commenting thingy - I'll be guided by the concensus.  You are the readers!
 
Cheers for now - Wendy

 =====================

Comments on previous post  

HAZEL  - you're right it could get a little busy and I could end up confusing myself with science!  Will just see how it goes, I'm hoping it will settle down into some sort of pattern after a few posts.  Just hope I don't miss out anyone when I do my cut & paste.

Nelly - not sure how the reply button thingy works, I'm just going to try this way and see if people like it!

Judith - Thanks - I'll just have to see how user-friendly it all works out to be. 

...... and because there were a few other comments on the Nasturtiums post ...

delia hornbook - thanks, the colours are so bright and happy.  BTW - I have mailed the vintage pillowcases off to you.  Hope they arrive soon.  

saving for travel  - thanks SFT they certainly are, and much under rated in my humble opinion!


7 comments:

Judith said...

I haven't read the one on the piano recitals yet Wendy. (we listen to "hardstyle" and the like in this house) I did love her words/thoughts on Saturday's post tho. I think she has a life that is quite different to the majority of us.

I've never made crumble but love to eat it. Custard if it's rhubarb crumble and ice cream if it's apple.

Nelly said...

MMMM apple crumble and home made too you must describe the taste.And dont ever get a reply button on the comments they are not worth it.

Daffodil said...

How delightfully wintery...stewed apples and a crumble topping. I will just have to dream of it for now.

Unknown said...

yummy crumble you can't beat a good one makes yo feel all warm inside. My mum loves ginger i will pass this recipe to her because i know she will love it. Have a lovely day, dee x

Shaheen said...

I do like you take on crumble. I'm in Wales seeing family, my mother loves rhubarb so I may make her some rhubarb crumble if she lets me cook.

Unknown said...

We make a crumble with museli. Delicious.

Sft x

librarygirl said...

I love a crumble in winter. Yummo.
BTW, I loved the Passage, Wendy.