March 24, 2011

Geckos


Can I start off by saying that, as previously mentioned, I am definitely of the animal loving variety.  We as a family encourage wildlife to our property.  Specifically native wildlife.  We have planted heaps of  koala-friendly trees, we have possum boxes and bird boxes to encourage their little families.  We have banana trees that feed a small army of flying foxes.  We have trees planted to attract native birds.   etc etc.

Geckos are different.  Unfortunately though, when I get steamed up about something I can't let it go.  Geckos are one of those things - and they are an introduced species.  They first appeared about 2 years ago and in that time they have settled in very nicely thanks very much.   Great spot here - word has got around.  


 
Yes they do eat moths, but that is all I have seen them eat.  I understand they eat spiders too.  I don't have a problem with moths and spiders.  I have a problem with geckos, and there seems to be no easy way to deter them.

Actually I was ok until they moved i n s i d e the house.  Not very many mind you.   But enough.  I can hear them and I sometimes see them, and nasty little blobs of evidence left behind.  The house is fully screened, but somehow they have managed to infiltrate the barricades.

So I have decided to take action.  I am going to use reverse psychology on myself!  It has worked  for me just recently when a particular ad on the radio used to really grate on me.  You know the type - fingernails on chalkboard kind of feeling.  

Reverse psychology worked!  I just told myself that I really really loved  that particular advert and raced to turn the volume up whenever I heard it.  Seems it worked and it doesn't bother me at all now.   Actually it is rarely played - it may have been taken off air because other listeners complained!  

Really I just posted this to say how much I love those little guys.  Cute little critters aren't they and I just love the chirpy noise they make all the time.  In fact I came across this cross-stitch pattern the other day, so I think I might just have a go at it and have it framed and installed in the kitchen. Seeing I love geckos so much.


(Photo taken from Cross Stitch Australia Magazine, Oct.93)  Leaves and snail were in the photo not on my kitchen bench. 

I suppose I have better not take the reverse phsychology method too far - I might end up keeping and loving all my clutter.. lol.

11 comments:

Nelly said...

LOL they are so cute but sure make weird noises at night

Ali said...

Umm Wendy, you are going a little potty :) I say that in the nicest possible way!

I have a thing for rats. Or rather against rats... we had a leetle infestation a while back that culminated in my being bitten on the knee while I was in my bed. Up until that point I had been dead against poisoning them. After that point I was the biggest toxic warfare supporter this side of wherever.

I won the rat race.

Hazel said...

I have special powers and i can see you in the future with a collection of gecko ornaments, tee shirts with gecko prints, china geckos in threes climbing up the wall, a whole dinnerset with different coloured geckos marching around the edges, flannelette gecko print pjs, gecko tattoos around your neck like a necklace, gecko bumper stickers, a pate knife with a gecko handle and matching salad servers, an occasional table with carved gecko legs complete with little gecko feet,...and.....and.... Don't get TOO attached!

fromsophiesview said...

Not knowing anything about geckos...I suspect they scurry a lot and drive you bonkers. I think your idea of R.P. just maybe the answer...who knows your may just grow to love the little buggers!

dreamer said...

I am really envious most of the time when you tell us about all your wildlife, ot all seems so exotic and we don't have any of it here, BUT I am not envious of your geckos lol, glad we don't have those here.I met something sililar in Turkey scurrying up the bathroom wall in our apartment one holiday and was unsettled the rest of the holiday thinking about it being in there, eek!

duchess_declutter said...

Nelly - they definitely are not cute IMHO!

duchess_declutter said...

Ali - thanks but I absolutely would be potty if there were rats involved. I lived in a rental house once that had rats decided to move into after a Qld nut tree in the yard had been chopped. I don't think I will forget that sound of floorboards being chewed all night.

duchess_declutter said...

Hazel - I'm glad that we share the same warped sense of humour..... you were joking right?

duchess_declutter said...

Sophie - they don't scurry so much, as make one aware of their presence. Lots of chirping and pooping.

duchess_declutter said...

dreamer- you are quite right - no need to be jealous of these litte babies!

fromsophiesview said...

Oh so they are the poopers noise makers of the property...

PS...cool...re: Word Verification comment on my post from you! This happens to me a lot too!