October 15, 2012

Don't Count Your Chickens etc. etc. .....


However, there could well be a boost to the number of bantams at our place in the next few days!



 Ten under this girl.
 


and 15 under these two.  Yes two!   In total, the number of eggs being incubated by these three are 25.

 The two sisters have quietly co-existed for the last few weeks.  Getting up at the same time to have a bit of a break - and then racing back to the nest.
Which leads me to wonder - what exactly is going to happen when (potentially) 15 chicks hatch?
They all have to move anyway - at the moment they are sitting on the 'mezzanine' level of the bantam boutique.  I have a large - hopefully fingers crossed - snakeproof enclosure ready to move them into.
This little one should be fine with hers.

What to do however with the two hens/15 chicken situation.

Looking for some help here - 

PLAN A - separate roughly half the chickens and put them into separate cages with each mum

PLAN B - well I don't really think that would work, but Plan B was to let them work it out themselves.  I can only see that ending badly.

PLAN C - I separate them but let them co-exist in a communal type arrangement.

Any thoughts or ideas welcomed.  Preferably in the next couple of days!  I probably should have separated them earlier, but they seemed pretty happy together.

Till next time at bantam central.

cheers Wendy




Yes fruit fly here too - we have had limited success with those fly trap gadgets, but still won't plant any more after the end of October. 
Yes - totally weird!
Strange but true Mel!

8 comments:

**Anne** said...

Oh they are so cute sitting on their eggs. You are going to have a lot of fun in the coming weeks with all those chicks. :)
Anne xx

Quinn said...

Personally, since it's gone this far, I would leave them alone and let them sort it out when the chicks are hatched. Yes, there's a risk of mayhem, and I would be hoping that there would be no bloodshed. But there's a risk in separating them, too, since hens (at least my hens) are pretty adamant about doing things their own way. Upsetting the arrangement now might mean NO chicks are hatched, and BOTH hens would be upset.

Mind you, I'm not saying leaving things as they are is "the best" thing to do, but it is what I would do.

Good luck! I'm down to 5 hens now, and I really wish I had some youngsters peeping around :)

duchess_declutter said...

Anne - just hoping now that some actually hatch!

duchess_declutter said...

Hello Quinn, welcome and thanks for your comment!
I'm only planning to move them once the chickens are hatched - hopefully today or maybe tomorrow.
I don't want to upset them so I'm staying clear for the moment.

Mel @ Coal Valley View said...

No idea Wendy but will be interested to see how it all pans out. We are yet to get our hens broody!

Good luck!

Mel x

veggiegobbler said...

So what's happening? Have they hatched yet? I reckon you are going to be overrun with chooks and have so much fun!

Gooseberry Jam said...

So Wendy how many chicks did you get? and are they all living harmoniously together? You have no idea how much I miss my chooks!
Thanks always for your lovely and encouraging words on my blog. I know we used to live somewhere in a similar area in QLD and I sometimes feel I'm far away from you to now, but I'm not, it's lovely to always hear from you.
Keep well
Karen xo

Gooseberry Jam said...

I just realised you put up a new post about the same time I was commenting here...Thats that wonderful universe for you again! :) xo